Market Place No 5

10 Plan Miss Glew March 2009.jpg
Miss Glew (clothing), Crompton’s Outfitters and Mrs Cross.
DSCF0006 edited.jpg
Photograph by Alan Dennis

Miss Glew sold baby’s clothes and all needlework supplies.

Jessie Bryan writing in 1980 about the early part of the C20th says, “If a girl went as an apprentice to dress-making she had to work from 8.00a.m. to 7.30p.m. with a break for lunch and tea. No wages were paid for eighteen months but if she wished to stay as an improver she got half-a-crown a week.

I have a friend who served her apprenticeship with Miss Glew and every morning before she went into the workroom she had to fetch a bucket of water from the pump in the Market Place.”


A photograph courtesy of Eileen Mumby.


Janet Holmes – Cromptons was at the top of the Market Place where Shirley Cross had the wool shop. It was all around the corner the last window down used to have all corsetry in the window.

Carol Barnes – Mrs. Crompton had the shop at the top of the co-op side that went round the corner opposite Bates and Mountain.

I’m almost sure you’re right and if so it would have been 50 years ago, about, as I was only a kid.

Ivan Baker – It was long and narrow and seems now to have belonged to a different age (which of course it is).

Image 1 of 46.jpeg
Crompton Adverisement Miss Glew (clothing), Crompton’s Outfitters and Mrs Cross.



Rev David Saunders in Caistor Market Place published in 2012, “…. Though only a narrow part of it is visible from the open square, … It extends along another lane that connects the Market Place and the High Street. It’s earliest Deed is dated 1730, when Thomas Hudson, a cord wainer bought it for £50. His son also Thomas and an apothecary inherited it in 1748. When he died, subject to his widow’s interest, it went to Robert and Elizabeth Swan.

In 1811 their trustees sold it to Dr. Samuel Turner. He was a distant cousin of the Rev. Samuel Turner, and was already well established in Caistor, and living in the property. He died in 1825, and Dr. G. M. Porter, took on the practice. His widow stayed in the house until 1836.

It then passed into the hands of George Marris, solicitor, who had married one of Dr. Turner’s daughters. The Marris’s moved into the Old Vicarage in 1842.

The house was empty for a while, but bought eventually by Webster Pycock for £300. He was a cabinet maker. He died in 1853, and his son Robert had the property until 1855, when William Nicholl, an apothecary bought it for £400.

There was a property to the north, probably fronting on to the High Street, occupied successively by Richard Wright and Martin Munday.

When Mr. Nicholl died in 1864, he left a life interest in the property to his housekeeper Mary Trout Gorbutt’s. She died in 1878, and in the same year Dr. Turner’s granddaughter, Miss Mary Ann Marris bought it for £560.

Meanwhile Nathan Sutton Cartledge, another druggist had succeeded to the business some time before 1871. His second marriage, in August 1875, was celebrated in great style. The Mercury’s man reported that by 9 a.m. There were swarms of children as well as adults out on the street to see the wedding, first to greet the groom, who went on foot with his best man to the Church. The bride came in a carriage, drawn by grey horses, with her maids. After the service the bells were rung and the Horncastle Band played as the couple went back to the groom’s house. Rice was thrown, and the scene was almost riotous. Ainger, Capes and Ramsden, and the other groom’s friends rang hand bells and distributed 650 packets of sweets. All the old women who applied got a quarter pound of tea. The couple went to Cleethorpes. So there could be more to the Market Place than just business.

Mr. Cartledge left the Market Place for Cornhill before 1891. He did not do well, and Miss Ann Dixon of Holton Hall lost most of the money she had lent him.

Advert 1951 cs crompton.jpg
1951 Advertisement

From about 1891 the Turner property housed a very different business. Miss Sarah M. Glew was a dressmaker and Fancy Draper. In 1891 she had three other dressmakers living in and working for her, but in 1901, if she had any assistants, they were non-resident. She was still there in 1911, but ownership had passed on to one of Miss Marris’s heirs, the Rev. C. C. Marris.”





The following film “Miss Glew” is Ken Clark & Arthur Clarke in conversation with Alan Dennis