From Rev. David Saunders Book “Portraits of Caistor”. The book gives details of all the inns of Caistor. Contact the website if you would like to purchase a copy.
The Fountain Inn was at the bottom of Fountain Street. It was a beer house with its own brewery. The following is taken by a book by the Rev. David Saunders and shows the landlords between C1871 – C1913. They were George Shepherd, William Sharpe, Charles Dawson and his brothers William and Thomas
C2000 photograph of the buildings as a modern residence. The inn was demolished and would have been sited near the road sign in the middle distance. The building on the left was the Fountain Brewery. On the right can be seen in the wall the bricked up steps to a row of cottages that one were on the site. Photograph by Alan Dennis
Gate into the brewery. Modern photograph. Photograph by Alan Dennis
Present day photograph of the brewery site showing houses. This is a private garden. Photo by Alan Dennis with kingd permission of the owners.
Early photograph from the Churchyard showing the brewery in the lower right hand corner. Caistor Heritage Trust
Fountain Inn can be seen on the middle right with the brewery in the centre of the photograph. Caistor Heritage Trust
Early beer bottle. Caistor Heritage Trust
Maps of the area
1887. Notice the buildings where there is now a pond. Caistor Heritage Trust
Caistor Heritage Trust
Stamford Mercury 1912
1872 John Christian. Rev David Saunders Collection held by Caistor Heritage Trust