Fern Place – Market Place

1937 July 5th ….The question of a public convenience was discussed and deferred… – Caistor Town Council Minutes 21st June 1932 – 12th December1944

Q 12 Fern Place.jpg
View from Fern Place looking at the Market Place toilets.

Rev. David Saunders published  in 2012 “Caistor Market Place”…. There is a passage way, for there were and are other premises behind the Market Place frontage…
There was also Levick’s Yard accessed by the passage …. and from Chapel Street.
The area is only mentioned by that name in the 1861 census. Then only one family lived there, that of George Brown, an auctioneer and County Court Baliff.
In 1881 Census an unoccupied house is recorded, possibily in the Yard, and there is no trace in 1891. The 1901 enumerator called it Fern Place. This had two families, that of Alfred Wilson and of Thomas Hewson. Mr. Hewson was still in the house in 1911. In 1919 John Kirkby and his wife, Dora Charlotte were living there and in 1922 Mr. Kirkby helped pay for Levick’s when the Deanery bought the property. The 1913 Lincolnshire directory shows that the Deanery was in occupation by then.”

……………………………………………………….