1808 Caistor Matrons’ Society formed to promote Sunday Schools
1811 28th May Lately published, price 2s a Treatise on Education by G. Oliver – sold by ……..Booth, Caistor
1811 Apollo Lodge No:510, Grimsby. 1811.
While the Warrant No:510 was purchased by Dr. George Oliver and the removal from Louth was registered at Grand Lodge in 1811, it is clear that some Masonic activity, involving Dr. Oliver, was taking place in Grimsby before this time. Dr. Oliver states that he was a member of a Lodge in Grimsby in 1810. However, the earliest return to Grand Lodge for Apollo Lodge does not even mention Dr. Oliver. While an interesting event the year before makes it clear that this was not the earliest date the Lodge was operating – with or without a Warrant.
History records that in 1809 the Duke of Brunswick, in order to avoid being taken prisoner in the war between France and Austria, seized some ships and made his way across the North Sea to Grimsby. On arrival he was given a brilliant reception and was received with due honour by Dr. Oliver and other Brethren before his onward journey to London.
Having purchased the Warrant No:510, along with furniture from St. James Lodge, for the sum of 30/- the Apollo Lodge No:510 was established at the Freemasons Tavern, Loft Street, Grimsby.
Dr. Oliver had come to Lincolnshire to take a teaching post at Caistor Grammar School and was later successful in becoming the Headmaster of Great Grimsby Free Grammar School, Vicar of Clee and Curate in Grimsby.
Dr. Oliver desired the Lodge to be formed under Grand Lodge and had not recognised the ‘Atholl’ or ‘Antient’ Lodge that was meeting in Grimsby. This Lodge the ‘Spurn & Humber Lodge was known to exist from 1802 but was not recorded in the register of Grand Lodge until 1811. It was erased in 1823 but it was known that the Warrant and furniture had been sold to a person in York some time before January 1817.
The Apollo Lodge No:510 fared well and in 1812 the foundation stone was laid for a purpose built Masonic Hall, the first in Grimsby. It was dedicated and opened on Thursday August 12th, 1813. It is interesting to note that this was again on the birthdate of the Prince of Wales. In 1813, when the Grand Lodges merged to form United Grand Lodge, the Warrant was re-numbered 514 and then in 1832 changed yet again – this time to No:362.
Dr. Oliver was Master of the Apollo Lodge for some 14 years and during that time trade in the town declined and this was refelcted in the state of the Lodge. The last Initiation took place in February 1827 and after 1829 reports and payments to Grand Lodge ceased. The Lodge did continue to meet for a while but in 1831 Dr. Oliver left Grimsby for Scopwick, taking the Warrant of the Lodge with him. It was eventually surrendered to Grand Lodge in 1834 and the Lodge erased in 1835. Www.pgllincs.org/Lincolnshire
1811 March DANCING
MESSRS CLEAVIN and SON respectfully inform their friends and the public that they purpose opening their Schools at the following places; viz. at Caistor on the 29th instant; Laceby and Brigg on the 1st of April; and at Grimsby and Kirton on the 3rd of April. They feel themselves greatly obliged for the many favours already conferred upon them, and humbly solicit future patronage, assuring their friends of renewed assiduity to merit the same.
1811 Marriage At Hull, Mr. Fran. Cotton, schoolmaster of Caistor, to Ann, eldest daughter of Mr. Joseph Backwell, bras-founder, of the former place.
1818 July That the Bank shall open at the SUNDAY SCHOOL ROOM in this place, for receiving Deposits, on SATURDAY, the Twenty-second day of August instant, from Six o’clock to Seven in the afternoon, and on every succeeding Saturday at the same hour.
1823 28th April (also on 30th September) WANTED immediately, a Curate, to undertake the Duties of a Clergyman, and also the Classical Department of a school, for two or three months. Applications addressed to R.B. Post Office, Caistor, Lincolnshire will be attended to.
1823 March Death – On Monday last, at Caistor, Mrs. Susanna Cave, relict of the late Mr. C. Cave, schoolmaster, aged 83.
1823 May CAISTOR MATRON SOCIETY
For encouraging the Education of poor Children in Religious Knowledge
at the Sunday School of Caistor and its vicinity
The Fourteenth Anniversary of this Society will be holden at the George Inn in Caistor on Wednesday, the 28th day of May inst. at 2 o’clock in the afternoon; when and where the company of the several members and their friends is particularly requested.
A SERMON will be preached by the Rev. W. Knight of Hull, and service will commence precisely at 3 o’clock.
J.G.DIXON ) Stewards
1826 12th July CAISTOR MATRON SOCIETY
For encouraging the Education of Poor Children in Religious Knowledge at the Sunday
June 1828 School of Caistor and its Vicinity
The Seventeenth Anniversary of this Society will be holden at the George Inn, Caistor, on Wednesday, the 12th day of July instant; at two o’clock in the afternoon, when and where the company of the several members and their friends is particularly requested.
A SERMON will be preached by the Rev. Mr. Stockdale, and service will commence at 3 o’clock.
Mrs. M. DIXON, Patroness
The members of the Caistor Matron Society, established in 1809 for encouraging the education of poor children in religious knowledge in Caistor and its vicinity, commemorated the 19th anniversary on Wednesday, the 11th inst. by attending in the National School to hear the customary examination and recitations of the scholars. Mrs. Borman, of Irby, was appointed patroness on the occasion; J. Thorpe, Esq., of Owersby, president; and J.H.Swan, Esq., of Hunden, and J.G.Dixon Esq., of Caistor, stewards. At eleven in the forenoon, the scholars being classed, the recitations from the Old and New Testaments commenced, and were delivered with great correctness and propriety of demeanor. The children were then examined by interrogatory in their several religious exercises, the prompt responses to which exhibited a retentiveness of memory highly satisfactory to the respectable auditors. At three o’clock the Caistor scholars, being joined by several from the neighbourhood, and amounting in the whole to between 3 and 400, assembled in the Market Place and being formed for procession to church, marched thereto in regular order, headed by the Caistor amateur band of music, and followed by the visiting and resident clergy, the patroness, president, stewards, and several other ladies and gentlemen in succession. Prayers were read by the Rev. Couch officiating minister of Caistor, and three appropriate hymns were extremely well sung during divine service by the children, assisted by a part of the church choir of singers, and under the able conduct of Mr. Brown, who kindly presided at the organ. A sermon was preached by the Rev. Thos. Skipworth of Belton, who selected his text from the 5th Galatians, part of the 6th verse – “Faith which worketh by love”. The Rev. Gentleman, after eulogizing the institution of Sunday schools, reverted to the controversies occasioned by and concerning the doctrines of faith and good works, eloquently elucidated them, and described the happy consequences of that faith which shows itself by works of love to God and man, producing also the excellent gift of charity which gives with cheerfulness and liberality, and in its nature never faileth. He then addressed respectively the children, parents, teachers and those of his congregation in the higher ranks of life, affectionately exhorting them to the unwearied pursuit of godliness and virtue, and to steadfastness in that “faith which worketh by love”. – About 18l. 10s. was collected at the church door. – The children and procession returned to the Market place with the same regularity and were then formed so as to encircle the clergy, patroness, president, stewards and several other benevolent supporters. The patroness and stewards then distributed upwards of 150 books merited by the scholars, including bibles, testaments, prayer- books, the whole duty of man, &c. &c. The children afterwards partook of tea and plum cake on the Bowling Green and were accommodated during the acceptable repast with the band of music, who played several of their best tunes. The ladies and gentlemen retired to the George Inn to take Tea, which concluded a day rendered uncommonly interesting by such an assemblage of neat children, all “trained up in the way they should go” through the meritorious services of their benevolent friends then present; and the whole of the proceedings created general good will towards the society, from the unanimity and excellent management by which they were characterized. – About 200 boys and girls receive religious education by means of the Matron Society every succeeding Sabbath, under the particular superintendence of J.G.Dixon, Esq., assisted by occasional visitors; the whole of whom, from a sense of duty, intermix exhortation and encouragement with the school business, thereby continuing the popularity and prosperity of the association.
1840 17th April “a Teetotal meeting ….. In the National Sunday School room at Caistor …..when the cause was ably advocated by Messrs Roebuck and Johnson (two reformed characters) from Laceby and Elijah Browne, the teetotal rhymer, late of Boston and now of Caistor … some signatures were obtained.” The Water Drinkers in Lindsey 1837 – 1860 by Rex Russell
1841 1st January Teetotal meeting at Nettleton. On .. 22 ult., in accordance with the expressed wish of Sir C.E. Smith Bart., a public meeting …. in the schoolroom at Nettleton, when this very useful and exemplary association of moral Christians had the honour of their worthy Baronet as their chairman. His hearers were chiefly composed of the Caistor teetotallers.” (Speakers – Sir Culling Eardley Smith, H. Watmough, King, R. Clayton,and others. ” .. Sir Cullen Smih …for the encouragement of teetotalism presented … 25 shillings … which will be applied in extending the cause of healthy and order.” The Water Drinkers in Lindsey 1837 – 1860 by Rex Russell