1826 June 6th Caistor, Lincolnshire, To be sold by auction, by Mr. Richd. Winter, at the house of Mr. John Quickfall, known by the sign of the Red Lion Inn, in Caistor, on Saturday the first day of July next, between the hours of six and eight in the afternoon, subject to such conditions of sale as shall be then and there produced;
1856 The annual meeting of the Caistor and Market Rasen Societies for promoting Christian Knowledge and for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, was held at Caistor on the 17th inst., when the Rev. H. Bell, of Nottingham, preached a sermon in the Parish Church; afterwards a public meeting was held at the Red Lion Hotel, at which the Rev. H. Bell explained the wants and views of the Society for Promoting Christain Knowledge, and the Rev. W. F. Kaye those of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. Market Rasen Weekly Mail and Lincolnshire Advertiser 20.12.1856
GLOOM AT CAISTOR. (FROM OWN CORRESPONDENT.) We regret to announce the death, on Saturday evening, after a very brief illness, of Mr Francis A. Rogers, of the Red Lion Hotel, Caistor. Following close upon the deaths of such well known inhabitants of the district as Mr William Marshall and Mr B. S. Gorbut, the painful suddenness with which the death of Rogers has occurred, has cast quite a gloom over the inhabitants of Caistor. Mr Rogers was well-known and most highly esteemed by all the farmers and business men of the locality. He had filled many public offices, with much credit to himself and great benefit to the town. The deceased was also an enthusiastic cricketer, and the cricket club, which has been somewhat unfortunate recently in the loss of its members, will lose a valuable supporter. Rogers was only 47 years of age, and leaves a widow a five children. Hull Daily Mail – Monday 07 March 1898
1748 to 2003
From the High Street the Red Lion Front is C17
The Market Place side is Georgians (1835) with modifications
1748 Thomas Hudson, shoemaker owned the Red Lion in 1748 and left it to his wife a life interest. After her death it passed to her daughters.
John Turner snr., a solicitor owned it by 1782.
1804 Samuel Booth, stationer, bought it but went bankrupt.
Sometime before 1822 Marmaduke Dixon owned it.
In 1834 John Quickfall bought the Inn from the Dixon’s executors.
John Quickfall retired in 1866 and the Red Lion was bought by John Kirkby of Cabourne.
By 1872 the owner was the wine and spirit merchant Charles Colton. After his death in 1890 it passed to his widow. She died in 1906 and the daughters inherited. Rev. David Saunders – Portraits and Pictures of Caistor.
Mr. Colton the Wine Merchant carried on his business nearly opposite Mr. Cartledge. He was most profusely polite to everyone and a good churchman. I remember some of his family but not their names.” George Haddesley 1880’s
Mr Charles Colton was a Church Warden.
Jessie Bryan writing in 1980 about the early part of the C20th says, The Red Lion “had as the proprietor Mrs. Emily Rogers and in the Red Lion Yard was Mr. William Staniland, ominibus proprietor. At the corner, Mr. Robert Clark had a shoe shop…
Two local buses met all incoming trains at Moortown Station. One was from the Red Lion, the driver being Mr. Parkinson Mumby. …..”
The Red Lion Bus was operated by George Rhodes in the 1930’s and ran to Grimsby via Rothwell. It also went to Brigg and Louth markets.
The following film “The Red Lion Bus” is Ken Clark & Arthur Clarke in conversation with Alan Dennis